Level 4, Intermediate, Post 3, 'Theme Free Post'

 - Comments: Ask students to leave a comment on your post + 3 of their classmates' posts.

- Word Count for post 4: 200 words

I will leave you  the beginning of a Critical Review that I wrote two years ago, as a manner of example,


Mobilizing the object of study, Hemingway’s “The Sun also rises”

The following work attempts to look for an intertextual dialogue to occur between T S Eliot’s “The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock”, Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby” and Hemingway’s “The Sun also rises”. For this to be achieved, several passages from both the poem and the novels have been selected in order to find a point of convergence concerning one paramount topic, the one of the ‘solitude in the quotidian’.

As a mode of beginning, the topic that may follow up: ‘the solitude in the quotidian’, portrayed in Fitzgerald’s and Eliot’s passages it is now reversed to the coming across of ‘company in the quotidian’. It is in the following lines of Hemingway’s novel that one may find such development of such topic “We stayed five days at Burguete and had good fishing. The nights were cold and the days were hot, and there was always a breeze even in the heat of the day.” (Hemingway, 66)

In the lines above, the voice of narration in Hemingway’s novel is presenting the interaction with the quotidian in a positive outlook. The passage of time is told as a natural, and there is no a tedious tone. There is no an accountancy of days and nights, but an accounting for pleasant experiences in the quotidian. To have “a good fishing” can be accounted for a pleasant and satisfactory experience found in the quotidian. (...)

References

·         Eliot, T. S., and Frank Kermode. The Wasteland and Other Poems. New York, N.Y., U.S.A.: Penguin, 1998. Print.
·         Fitzgerald, F. Scott. The Great Gatsby. New York, NY: Scribner, 1996. Print.
·         Hemingway, Ernest. The Sun Also RisesNew York: Scribner, 1996. Print.

Comments

  1. that's great, those novels are so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read any of this novels/poems but they seem interesting for what you have write here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of finding the satisfactory in the quotidian, I think it's important to value the day by day even if something out of the ordinary hasn't happened

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's funny that good luck is almost always associated with fishing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a chance to read these novels, but they sound interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read Hemingway but it got my attention

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like The grat gatsby a lot, the other books I haven't read yet

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need to read the novels and poems to better understand this hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. How profound the theme of the publication is.
    It made me want to know more about those novels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds very pretty find valued moments in the quotidian life, good text!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like reading and this got my attention so I'll take it as a recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sincerely did not know about these authors, but through your writing, they interested me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds very interesting, I'll have it on a future reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never read any of these texts but they sound interesting, I will try to read them

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds very interesting. I would like to know more about those novels. It's nice to read these reviews.

    ReplyDelete

  17. I have not had the opportunity to read those novels, but now i'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the way Hemingway writes, although descriptive, it can be very deep without being tedious. good recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never read those novels but how interesting they manage to project certain emotions without saying it explicitly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it. The everyday contains the wonder of life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I want to try read these novels, in general is not my favorite topics but it sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't understand because I i didn't read any of the novels mentioned, sorry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Level 4, Intermediate, Post 5, 'My future job'

Level 4, Intermediate, Post 2, 'The Best Holidays/Concert Ever'

Level 4, Intermediate, Post 1, 'A Country I would like to visit'